Sunday, November 14, 2010

Pasta (Part 2) -- Quinoa Pasta

I found this new quinoa pasta at Bristol Farms last week and decided to try it out.
Admittedly, I was very skeptical.  The pasta is bright (borderline highlighter) yellow and I have never eaten quinoa in my life, but anything has to be better than that brown rice pasta I tried last week, right?

Education corner:
Quinoa (pronounced “keen-wa”) is a seed originally grown in South and Central America, with some of the crop now grown in Canada. Quinoa has a high protein value... It is also an above average source of vitamins and minerals. Quinoa is free of gluten and is a good source of fiber.  (www.naturespath.org)
Hm... okay...



Pasta prep:  Nothing new here, like any other box of dry pasta -- bring water to a boil, put in noodles, wait for the water to boil again, stir and cook for 5-6 minutes, tada! 
A few differences:  This pasta is very sticky, so next time I will definitely follow the directions and add some oil to the water and stir thoroughly after dropping the noodles into the water (oops -- almost created one giant, box sized, pasta noodle).  In addition, the water gets very milky and the noodles need a little extra rinsing once they are done.

LUNCH! 
A review of the quinoa pasta
-Price:  $2.39! Woot! 
-Convenience:  As simple as any other box of dried pasta -- excellent!    
-Taste:  I thought it smelled a little different, but the taste was right on.  Ate it all up with the eggplant marinara I made earlier. 
-Texture:  Unlike the rice noodles the week before, this pasta was nice and al dente, just the way I like it!  

-Overall:  ^.^  ^.^  ^.^  ^.^  ^.^
(5 out of 5 happy Asian smiles) -- this pasta was soooooo much better than the brown rice pasta.  Hm... I think I'll make some meatballs next to go with this meal. 


 

2 comments:

  1. I can't quite explain why, but those screaming yellow noodles look really, really appetizing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is soooo your Asian side talking (which... given that you are 100% Japanese, is your whole side -- I think). Anywhoooo... what I mean is Japanese people love eating weird things, so it fits... or something (ack! -- witty comment failed!). In short, I'll make you some crazy bright yellow noodles for Thanksgiving if you want. It'll go great with the turkey and potentially prime rib (yeah, we need to work out a menu soon).

    ReplyDelete